Saturday, December 8, 2012

Room 3531

One of my dear friends Jordan Sherrod wrote a blog post on his visit to see me in the hospital and it touched me so deeply so I thought I would share it with you.           

         I and my friends, Rebekah and Brayden, stood in the hall of the ER building outside of room 3531. It was Wednesday, October the 10th in the year of our Lord, two-thousand and twelve. Behind the closed door of room 3531 lay our very dear friend Hannah Middleton, who was in an extreme amount of pain. It was 8:45 in the A.M. so the white-walled hospital was beginning to come alive. Nurses scuttled here and there, doctors began their check-ups on patients, and patients awoke to the hope of a new day. Our dear friend Hannah was one such patient. The previous night had been a restless one for her due to her great pain, so she eagerly welcomed a new morning. This day was great for today was the day she might be able to go home. This greatly excited her, for the hospital is not a very homely- or personal- place.

            We three friends had come to encourage, support, and pray for our dear friend. The hall was our place of awaiting, for the nurses were making Hannah presentable (not that we cared, but I’m sure it made her feel clean). Unfortunately, this “presentable process” presented much more pain in addition to the much more cleanliness and therefore took some time. But to me- as to my accomplices, I’m sure- the wait was well worth the support we gave and the inspiration we received. Before going in, we spoke with Hannah’s father for quite some time. We discussed God’s faithfulness, Mr. Middleton’s rest, and Hannah’s injury. It as a good conversation.
            To be quite frank, I was not sure how to enter room 3531. But the Lord guided me in what I ought to do and say. The nurse came out presently and told us that Hannah was now able to see visitors. I and my friends hesitated a moment and then entered room 3531. Flowers lay on the table next to her hospital bed. Beautiful yellow and pink flowers. They were a part of the select few items in the vicinity that brought life to the room. She lay there, my friend Hannah, covered in a white hospital sheet and crying; crying from the mighty pain of her injury. Seeing and hearing her crying was hard. Sometimes seeing a dear friend in pain is harder than being in pain yourself. Poor girl. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t ease her pain. But I could encourage and pray. My wise companion, Rebekah, moved closest to our distressed friend. With comforting words she encouraged Hannah and affirmed her of her love and support. During the course of that conversation Hannah stopped crying. Thankfully our presence was becoming a distraction from the mighty pain. It seemed as if we could just look at her and she knew we loved and cared for her. Words were not needed. Jesus and our common love for Him bound us all together in room 3531. It was beautiful.
            Indeed, not only was the moment beautiful, but so was she. Her character and the Spirit of the Lord in her were shining ever so bright in this very weak moment of her momentary life. I was blown away by the determination and perseverance that radiated from her weak body and beautiful face. It encouraged me very much. Often those with the intent of encouraging and inspiring become encouraged and inspired themselves. The Blesser becomes the blessed.
            “I’m in so much pain” she whispered. We all stared at each other for a few moments, then slowly, words began to come to my head. “I’m so very glad you’re alive” I said as tears now rolled down my own cheeks. She nodded and replied, “God is good”. To that reply I can make no argument. I found it incredible that someone in this much pain could say such affirming truths; and even though she knew much truth she still hungered for more! I read to her James 1:2-3, which says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance”. She nodded and began crying, “I never understood what that meant till now”, she said. She asked us what else we had been reading in Scripture and we told her. Her eyes brightened as she took in the Words of Life; the Words of the Lord. Truly, we are living in the age of spiritual giants.
            While we all stood there, Hannah asked if we would put the blanket on her that lay on the chair behind us. We eagerly agreed. “What an honor!” I thought. I felt privileged to be of some small service to my sweet friend. Rebekah, Brayden and I each grabbed a corner of the blanket and slowly let it descend over our friend so as not to bring her further pain by quick movement. For some reason I felt as if I were laying a priceless cloth over a beautiful queen in her royal bed. For within the time-frame of being in room 3531, Hannah seemed far more complete and much wiser than all of us. Indeed, James chapter one continues, “Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything”. Hannah was experiencing perseverance and it was making her mature and complete.
            During a pause in our dialogue, Hannah commented on her situation, “Life is short”. “A vapor”, her father concurred. Such comments are already first-fruits of the great testimony that is growing in Hannah’s life. It excites me, as I’m sure it excites all who were in that room, that God is doing mighty things in and through Hannah. She is a living testimony, as are all who are in Christ Jesus.
            The late great lover, Jimmy Brazell, once commented that such injuries and accidents like the one our dear friend Hannah was in are “Severe Mercies”. Severe in the obvious fact that it is a painful and often long experience, requiring much perseverance, but a mercy in the fact that God was most likely preventing Hannah from a much greater pain; perhaps a staleness in her relationship with God, or a quality that she ought to develop, or a lack of trust in God’s sovereignty. Another reason might simply be for the impact and forcefulness of Hannah’s life testimony. Who knows the motives of God but God Himself? Although none know, two things have been revealed to us: “God is good”, as Hannah stated, and He has a plan and a purpose for every occurrence, as Romans 8:28 reiterates.
            The time soon came for us to leave, so all three of us took turns praying for and over Hannah, asking that her pain would be minimal, that she would recover quickly, and that God would be glorified. What an honor it was to actually be there and pray over our dear friend. God was present.
            Rebekah left first, saying her fond farewell and exiting out the doorway of room 3531. I looked in the face of my friend and could tell she was exhausted. Her body had experienced much trauma and was longing for rest. I knew God would grant her rest eventually. I looked into her big brown eyes and told her that I was glad to see her and that I would keep praying for her. I squeezed her left hand, which was the only hand I could squeeze, and whispered, “goodbye”. I stood up- for I had been sitting down- and I began to leave. I looked back as Brayden was saying goodbye and took in the whole scene: the flowers, the white hospital walls, the bed, her father, her broken hand, the cast, her motionless right leg under the covers from her broken femur, and room 3531. Though she was in much pain and will be recovering for a while, I stand resolved and encouraged in this infinite truth:
            “God is good”.

No comments:

Post a Comment